Monday, May 08, 2006

Band vs. Band #8: Nirvana vs. Pearl Jam

Shifting gears a bit, let's jump a decade ahead and add some distortion to our guitars. As the forerunners of the 1990s "Grunge" movement, which of these bands do you like best?

Nirvana

or

Pearl Jam

These aren't exactly the bands that everyone would be familiar with, so pointing to their compilation albums seems a bit pointless. Nevertheless, feel free to look them up should you want to (re-)familiarize yourself with their work.

Don't be all apologies, get into a state of love and trust and cast your vote now!

Benny K says...


Pearl Jam certainly has a larger volume of music, and they're definitely the more sophisticated talent, but I have a fondness for Nirvana that can't be denied. In fact, I've learned that I like them more than I ever realize I do. When I've gone months without listening to them, I tend to start thinking they're just "really good." But when I finally put on a CD, I'm blown away by how much I love their stuff. Perhaps it is the simplicity that makes them so enduring. And, being completely honest, Pearl Jam seemed to peak with Vitalogy (though, admittedly, I've yet to listen to their most recent album). Nirvana may also have lost their momentum had Cobain stuck around, but it's the most recent impressions that last and, in this regard, Pearl Jam's longevity is not earning them any bonus points in my book. My vote goes to Nirvana.

4 comments:

The Damsel said...

I think Pearl Jam is the superior band. They actually create melodies with their guitars, unlike a lot of bands who just play chords and sing. That said, for sentimental reasons I would pick Nirvana. They're the first band I remember knowing-and liking!-due to my o so musical big brother Benny.

Sarah said...

I'll go with Pearl Jam. Eddie Vedder managed to make it out of the era alive, I like his voice more than the whiney dead guy, and their music is slightly more timeless than Nirvana's. They also seem to continue to make a name for themselves without being limelight hungry. Of course, I still love Something's In the Way, and also still remember where I was when Kurt Cobain's death was announced (at the Y on an elliptical)...but sorry Kurt, you stopped the music, so you just can't win this one.

Jennifer said...

There was that one summer when I had an unruly obsession with Nirvana's Unplugged album but I’d have to go with Pearl Jam. They are more timeless and ditto everything else my sis said. Except for I’ll add that I LOVE State of Love & Trust. So, yeah, that you used it in the post! Oh, and if I was voting with the teen-age-girl technique then Pearl Jam would still win because Eddie is much better looking than Kurt.

JL Pagano said...

Definitely Pearl Jam for me, for the "Vs." album alone.