Monday, May 01, 2006

Band vs. Band #7: Bryan Adams vs. John Mellencamp

While I'm all for giving peace a chance, it's time to pit the U.S.A. against Canada and ask which 1980s pop-rock singer-songwriter is your favorite?

Bryan Adams
(Best known for: "Summer of '69," "Heaven," "Run to You," "Can't Stop This Thing We Started," and "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You." To refreshen your memory regarding these or any of Bryan's other hits, click here to see a "greatest hits" compilation complete with song samples. You may also want to check out this album, which has a couple of songs not included on the former compilation.)

or

John Mellencamp
(This includes John in all his many varities: Johnny Cougar, John Cougar, John Cougar Mellencamp, and John Mellencamp. Best known for: "Jack and Diane," "Hurts so Good," "Small Town," "R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A." and "Pink Houses." To refreshen your memory regarding these or any of John's other hits, click here to see a "greatest hits" compilation complete with song samples.)

Tell it "straight from the heart" and let the votes start "crumblin' down" now!

Benny K says...

Like Jennifer I wouldn't consider myseslf a true fan of either artist, and I agree that "Everything I Do" was drastically overplayed. However, I have a weakness for greatest hits compilations, and thus both musicians hold a spot in my CD catalog. Based purely on the radio hits showcased by these compilations, I'm joining with the slight majority here and giving my vote to John Mellencamp. I'd shamlessly engage in a top-o'-the-lungs sing-along with most of his tunes. Bryan Adams, on the other hand, leans just a tad bit too much toward full-blown "adult contemporary."

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I don’t think I’d buy an album by either…but I’d go with John Mellancamp. I like small towns and summer (which he reminds me of) and I wouldn’t turn the station if he came on. Plus that “Everything I Do” song was overplayed enough to make me dislike Adams forever.

JL Pagano said...

Mellencamp for me. His career was interesting in the way he emerged from the persona that was originally created for him by the music industry. His numerous name changes reflected that very journey.

Sarah said...

I will be the first to support the Canadian...Bryan Adams has some memorable songs and videos from the 80s and early 90s. Of course, I agree with my sister that his soundtrack songs were over the edge AND his attempt at a comeback in a few years ago...ugh.

Now, John has some good songs too, but that mullet pushes him out of the top spot.

The Damsel said...

I LOVE "The Summer of '69". That being said, over all I prefer John Mellancamp's style.

Anonymous said...

Bryan Adams beat the crap out of John Cougar. When heteamed up with Tina Turner, "It's only Love", this was a radio deathblow for John Cougar-Mellencamp!