Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Song vs. Song #11: Men at Work vs. Toto

The world got a little bit smaller in the 1980s. We had the progressive rock band Asia. We had the hard rock band Europe. We even witnessed the miracle of a one-time pop conglomeration that brought together the likes of Michael Jackson, Willie Nelson, Bette Midler, and many more to croon against world hunger. (Funny enough, I'm losing my appetite just thinking about that combo of singers!) In addition, two undeniably awesome songs hit the radio and quickly heated up the charts. But which continental ode do you like best?

Africa - Toto

or

Down Under - Men at Work

Crown your chosen king of the southern hemisphere now!

Benny K says...

I'm keeping the vote unanimous and declaring Toto the official champs. "Africa" is in a totally (and not just Toto-y) different category than "Down Under," as much as I love the latter. In fact, I think juxtaposing these two songs is the perfect way to point out that invisible and inarticulable line where one crosses from pop perfection to outright songwriting craftsmanship--even if the latter still falls into the pop music category.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know I used to love a song by Men At Work (as a kid) -- but I honestly don't think this was the song. I also cannot remember even one other song name by them??? And so, in spite of also having limited Toto knowledge I'm going with them because I can actually hear Africa running through my head right now. (sad or scary -- you decide). Actually I think Africa is a good tune - reminds me of summer.

JoAnna said...

Wow this is a good one. I actually feel that these two songs are quite different. I like the smooth, mellow feel of Africa while Down Under feels more fun and upbeat. On any given day, I think I'd choose to hear Africa. They call me mellow yellow.

AndyOfVermont said...

By the way, you can listen to "Africa" in its entirety, and for free, here, and to "Land Down Under" here. At least it appears so. I'll be at a computer with sound in a little over an hour.