Thursday, June 02, 2005

Favorite Songs #1: Bondage

As I was getting on the freeway today, Wings’ “Live and Let Die” was on the radio. It reached its heavily orchestrated interlude just as I was merging, resulting in one of the most exhilarating driving experiences of my life. I felt like a spy as I flowed into high-speed traffic with simultaneous grace and agility. (Truth be known, it did provide a comical intensity to the moment.) Earlier in the day, I also heard Duran Duran's “A View to a Kill.” Since both of these songs were used for the opening credits of a James Bond film, I feel inspired to survey my readers with this question:

Which James Bond theme song (aside from the classic instrumental piece actually titled, "The James Bond Theme") is the best?

You can list a few if you absolutely feel you must. Unless it’s obvious, please list the title of the movie from which the song came (e.g. if you vote for “Nobody Does it Better” by Carly Simon, please note that this was used in the film, The Spy Who Loved Me). For those who need help remembering and/or verifying what songs were used, please consult this informative website. You can click on any James Bond film and download a low-quality mp3 of the theme song. (You can skip over Dr. No since this film only included the now infamous theme song I’ve already excluded. Not that it really matters, seeing as how the site has confused the theme music from Dr. No with the theme music from Dr. Who!)

Happy voting!

2 comments:

Benjamin said...

For myself, the answer is quite easily "A View to a Kill" (from the movie of the same name) by Duran Duran. Not only is it the most kickin' 007 theme song, it's also one of Duran Duran's very best. And it does such a good job incorporating samples from the original James Bond theme, which is a nice nod to the franchise even if it's not something I personally care about. All in all, it's a no-brainer.

However, I will say that Sheena Easton's "For Your Eyes Only" is quite fun to belt out with comically exaggerated seriousness. Blame it on an 80's childhood, I guess. And while it's not my favorite, I kind of like the sultry, loungey sound of Sheryl Crow's "Tomorrow Never Dies." It classes things up a bit.

glockster17 said...

I agree with the host. in that order for the same reasons.