Monday, April 03, 2006

Band vs. Band #6: Piano Men

The 1970s saw the rise of two pop pianists whose hits continued well through the 80s and 90s. Given the longevity of their careers, you've undoubtedly gotten jiggy with at least one or two songs by each artist. Put them side by side, however, and the question remains: which is the honky cat of your choice?

Billy Joel

or

Elton John

Leave a tender moment alone and start voting now!

Benny K says...

Both artists have their fair share of blasé material, but I'm keeping the vote unanimous: I prefer Billy Joel. In fact, the later in their careers you go, the more I prefer Billy. If we had judged only their 70s careers, I would have been much more torn. By the 80s the vote becomes obvious. Elton had some decent tunes during this decade (the best likely being "I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues"), but nothing comes close to rivaling almost anything on Billy's An Innocent Man. And when it comes to the 90s and beyond, Elton's musical circle of life has completely died.

4 comments:

JoAnna said...

Elton John is surprisingly likable. He's one of those that if anyone asked, I would think I was indifferent but whenever I hear him I usually like him.
Billy Joel on the other hand seems quite classic to me. I don't suppose I can REALLY say he's a better artist, but for my preference, I vote Billy.

Jennifer said...

This is a super hard one. I saw the post maybe 2 days ago and have been thinking about it since. There are tons of songs by both that I love and a few by each I don’t care for.

However, only one of them managed to get me labeled. When I was four years old my preschool called my mom and told her that I was continually singing Only the Good Die Young – and therefore likely had emotional problems.

So, although it’s close I have to go with Billy – if only for the sentiment.

Sarah said...

Hmm, I own CD's by both these fine old men, and have to say that Billy Joel may hold more likable tunes in my memory bank. And we used to watch Billy Joel videos when we decorated our Christmas tree. This is hard. I dislike most of their new stuff too. Dang, fine, Billy Joel...my boyfriend likes to act out all the lyrics to Innocent Man, so I have some sentimental perference.

glockster17 said...

It's a no brainer in my opinion, I vote for Billy Joel.
He seems to have covered a much lager spectrum of music in his career, from youthful rock n roll to a more mature sound.
Besides Billy was maried to a super model and Elton was kinda married to a fashion desinger.